Thursday, September 11, 2008

Kannur Airport would boost to tourism in North Kerala

Kerala tourism had attracted an investment of Rs 1,500 crore in the past two years. Northern Kerala is also poised for a major leap in the tourism sector. At least, half a dozen resorts have come at Bakel beach in northern Kerala. The proposed green field airport in Kannur would give a further boost to tourism in North Kerala.

Places to Visit in Kannur: Tourism


Fort St.Angelos
Fort St.Angelos is in the west of Kannur town.  It was built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida, with the permission of the Kolathiris, on a promontory jutting into the Lakshadweep sea.The Dutch captured the fort in 1663 and sold it to the Ali Raja of Kannur in 1772 and in 1790 it came into the possession of the British.The British rebuilt it and made it their most important station in Malabar.This fort is in a fairly good state of preservation, though parts of it have collapsed.  A few obsolete guns are seen at the place.  The fort is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India.

Thalassery Fort

The British arrived in Thalassery in 1683 and errected a goods shed there.  They shifted their commercial capital to Thalassery from Kozhikode, following obstruction from the Dutch.

In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions.  The fort is a square structure built of laterite and is distinguished by its massive ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions.  It was here that Haider’s captain was imprisoned.The famous St.John’s Anglican church is behind this fort.

Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu

The Snake Park at Parassinikkadavu is situated 18 kms. away from Kannur town.  It is one of the known snake parks in the country. The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, most of which are becoming extinct gradually. There is a large collection of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.

Payyambalam Beach

|
The Payyambalam beach is one of the beautiful beaches in this State and is an ideal place to spend evenings, irrespective of seasons.  It is very near to Kannur town. The mortal remains of Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pilla, A.K.Gopalan, K.P.Gopalan, Pamban Madhavan and K.G.Marar are laid to rest near this resort.

Ezhimala

Ezhimala, the capital of the ancient Mooshika kings, is considered to be an ancient historical site.  It is a conspicuous, isolated cluster of hills, forming a promontory, 38 kms. north of Kannur. A flourishing sea port and centre of trade in ancient Kerala, it was one of the major battle fields of the Chola-Chera war of the 11th century.It is believed that Lord Budha had visited Ezhimala.  An old mosque believed to contain the mortal remains of Shaikh Abdul Latif, a Muslim reformist, is also located here. The hill is noted for rare medicinal herbs.Bordered by sea on three sides, Ezhimala is set to occupy a prominent place in the naval history of the country, consequent to the proposal for commissioning the Naval Academy here.

Moppila Bay

Moppila Bay is a natural fishing harbour, lying near to Fort St. Angelos.  A sea wall projecting from the fort separates the rough sea and inland water.The bay was famous during the Kolathiris’ regime as a commercial harbour that linked Kolathunadu with Ladshadweep and foreign countries, in imports. Today, Mopilla bay has turned into a modernised fishing harbour, developed under the Indo-Norwegian Pact.

Muzhappilangad Drive -in Beach

It is 15 k.m from Kannur and 8 k.m from Thalasseri.  Black rocks protect this long, clean beach from the currents of the deep,making its shallows waters a swimmer’s paradise . Perhaps this is Kerala only drive-in beach.  Where are can drive entire length of 4 km.

Gundert Bungalow

Gundert Bangalow in 20 k.m away from Kannur, near Thalasseri Town on the national high way at Illikunnu Dr.Herman Gundert, the revered German Missionary, scholar and lexicographer lived in this bungalow for 20 years from 1839.  It was here that one of the first Malayalam dictionaries and the first Malayalam newspaper Paschimodayam took shape.

Pazhassi Dam

An ideal retreat for tourists, the dam site is famous for its scenic beauty.  The D.T.P.C provides pleasure boating facilities at the reservoir.  Accommodation is available at the Project Inspection Bungalow and its dormitories.

Pythal Mala

This enchanting hill station 65 km from Kannur Town,  situated 4,500 ft. above sea level near the Kerala- Karnataka border, is rich in flora and fauna.  It is a 6 km trek to the top of the hills.

Important Religious Centres

Parassinikadavu Muthappan Temple

The famous Muthappan (Siva) Temple (Parassinikadavu Madappura) is on the banks of the Valapatanam river.

According to tradition, the main abode of Muthappan was Puralimala near Mattannur.  The story goes that Muthappan appeared in the form of a child before one Padikutti Amma.  The child had an insatiable appetite for liquor, fish and meat and became a nuisance to the family was therefore turned out from the house.

Armed with a bow and arrow Muthappan wandered  from place to place and eventually reached Puralimala.  At Kunnathurpadi, on his way to Puralimala, he climbed on to the top of a palmyra tree near the house of one Chandan and drank toddy.

Chandan who happened to arrive on the scene, is said to have been turned into a rock at the gaze of Muthappan.  Here Muthappan completely disappeared from the scene and nothing more was heard of completely disappeared from the scene and nothing more was heard of him.  It is believed that he came down to Parassinikadavu.

According to tradition, a member of the Vannan community at Parassinikadavu found a metallic arrow on the trunk of a Kangira tree and having felt something divine about the place, reported the matter to the senior member of an ancient Thiyya family in the neighbourhood.  The latter, who felt the divine presence of Muthappan, immediately performed the necessary ceremonies and offered worship to him.

It is an accepted dictum here, that whatever is received by way of gifts or offerings should be spent for the  benefits of the pilgrims.  The daily offerings made to Muthappan are also different from what they are in other temples.  It has been customary to offer toddy, fish and meat as ‘nivedyams’ to this deity.  People of all castes and communities including

People of all castes and communities including members of the Muslim as well as Christian communities are known to donate sums of money as vazhipadu of Muthappam. The annual festival which falls on December 1st, provides a special occasion for pilgrims to throng the Parassinikadavu temple.

   The temple is situated 20  kms, north of Kannur town.

Thiruvangad Temple.

   The Thiruvangad temple, dedicated to Sree Rama, is an important temple. The temple is generally known as the Brass Pagoda from the copper sheeting of its roof.

   A part of the temple was damaged by Tipu’s troops in the 18th century, but the temple itself is believed to have been saved from destruction by a miracle.

   It was one of the outposts of the Thalassery fort in the eighteenth century. In its precincts were held many conferences between the officials of the East India Company and local leaders, at which political treaties and agreements were signed.

   The temple contains some interesting sculptures and lithic records.

   The annual festival of temple commences on Vishu day in Medam (April-May) and lasts for seven days.

Trichambaram temple

   The Trichambaram temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The pratishta here was performed by Sambara Maharshi and hence the temple is known as Trichambaram.

   The presumption is that the temple is situated in Dwaraka. It is significant that all around the temple, the water level is high. There is an elinji tree just in front of the temple which bears no fruits but only flowers.

The annual festival at Trichambaram takes place during Kumbham-Meenam months (March).

   The temple vazhipadus like payasam and thousand breads are believed to bless the devotees with santhanavardhanavu.

   The temple is located about 5 kms. south of Thaliparamba.

Mosque at Thalassery

   The Juma Masjid situated near the Maidan in the heart of Thalassery town is one of the most beautiful mosques in the district. It is said to be more than a thousand years old and has been rebuilt in the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture.

Mosque at Madayi

   The most interesting building at Madayi is the beautiful old mosque which was founded by Malik Ibin Dinar.

   A block of white marble in the mosque is believed to have been brought from Mecca by the founder himself. The grave of an Arab divine, who renovated this mosque, is also seen here.

Kottiyur.

   The most important pilgrim centre in this district is Kottiyur, otherwise known as the ‘Varanasi of the South”.

   There are two temples at Kottiyur, viz., Akkara Kottiyur, lying in the deep forests.

   The annual festival commences with Neyyattam on the swati day in Edavam (May-June) and ends with Thirukalasattu, after 28 days.

   A sword from the Muthirikavu, Tavinal village, is brought to Ikkara Kottiyur and this marks the beginning of the festival. It is believed that this sword is the one with which Daksha is believed to have been hacked to death and it is an object of daily workship of Muthirikavu. This festival is akin to the yaga performed by Daksha.

   The special ceremonies connected with the festival are Neyyattam and Elaneerattam, literally meaning the pouring of ghee and water of tender coconut respectively.

Jagannatha Temple

   The Jagannatha Temple, set up by Sree Narayana Guru in 1908, is another important temple. It is situated on a raised ground in the midst of paddy fields and was built by raising funds from the rich and the poor alike.

   The scheduled caste and tribe men were admitted to this temple in 1924. Pooja is performed here by non-Brahmins, according to ancient Hindu rites. Marriage including inter-caste marriages are conducted inside the temple. Annual festival falls in Kumbham (February - March).

St. John’s Church

   The St. John’s church, situated beneath the walls of the Thalassery Fort, was built in 1869 with the funds provided by the Master Attendent, Mr.Edward Brennen.

   Situated on a summit near the sea, this church is one of the most beautiful Anglican churches in India. In this churchyard lies the tomb of Edward Brennen.

Annapurneswari Temple

            The Annapurneswari temple, situated at Cherukunnu near Thaliparamba, is believed to have been constructed by Parasurama. According to tradition, Annapurneswari of Kasi (Banaras) came to Cherukunnu in a ship with three maid servants and a number of their followers. Later, the goddess proceeded to the spot where the temple is now situated

No comments: